Civil Partnerships

Introduced in 2004, a civil partnership is a legal union between two people, which gives them the same rights and responsibilities as a married couple. Introduced initially to allow same-sex couples to register their relationships legally, civil partnerships were extended in 2018 to include heterosexual couples who want to register their relationship without any religious connotation or the exchange of vows.

Our specialist family law team will support you should you wish to end your civil partnership. We understand that the dissolution of a partnership can be an emotional and difficult time, and we will always seek the best outcome for you and your family.

Although the dissolution of a civil partnership is similar to the process of a conventional divorce, Radshaw Solicitors will work closely with you to support you through all aspects, including financial settlement and child arrangements.

If you need support or legal advice, please contact one of the team today on 0333 3445 548.

Civil Partnerships FAQ

How do you end a civil partnership?
You must have been in your partnership for one year before you can petition to the court for a dissolution order.

You will need specific paperwork, and it is advisable to obtain advice from an experienced solicitor, as you may also need to make arrangements for finances to be separated or arrangements for any children in the family.

It is possible to get a legal separation, should you not want to end the civil partnership, which you can apply for at any time in the first year.

Please contact one of the team today on 0333 3445 548 for more information.

What is the process for ending a civil partnership?

In addition to seeking advice from a solicitor and applying to a court for the dissolution, the process remains largely the same as a conventional divorce. More information on the process can be found here.

There is only one ground for dissolving a civil partnership, which is the irretrievable breakdown of the relationship, and this has to be evidenced from the following reasons:

• Unreasonable behaviour
• Separation for two years with the consent of the other civil partner
• Desertion for two years
• Separation for five years

In a different way from a divorce, adultery is not one of the reasons that can be cited when applying for a dissolution to a civil partnership.

The process begins by the petitioner lodging a dissolution petition which gives details of the civil partnership, the parties involved, any children, and the grounds for the dissolution. If the dissolution is agreed and confirmed, a Conditional Order will be granted, followed by a Final Order and a certificate of entitlement to a dissolution.

In the event that the dissolution is contested, different timescales are introduced. Our team can provide more information on this and the rest of the process. Please contact one of the team today on 0333 3445 548 for more information. 

How long does a civil partnership dissolution take?
This process will typically take between 4-6 months should everything be completed correctly and arrangements are agreed.

Divorce & Relationship Breakdown

Financial Settlements

Pre & Post Nuptial Agreements

Child Arrangements

Family Law Services

Learn more

Radshaw Solicitors Ltd

Mayfair (By appointment)
49 Grosvenor Street,
London, W1K 3HP

The Atrium
1 Harefield Road
Uxbridge, UB8 1EX

0333 3445 548


Office Hours
Monday – Friday
09:00 – 17:00

09:00 - 13:00 (By Appointment Only)