Child Arrangement Orders

Should you experience a marriage or relationship break down and you are unable to reach a mutual decision on time spent with your children, you may need to have the court make a Child Arrangement Order.
The order will cover details such as where the child lives, when and where the child will see their other parent, and any other matters relating to the child’s welfare and well-being.

Our team are highly experienced in child arrangements orders and always act in the best interests of the child. Our staff members will guide you through the process with compassion, responsiveness and assurance.

In the first instance, we will seek to come to an agreement outside of court through mediation with parents to come to a decision about what is best for the child.

If you need legal advice regarding Child Arrangement Orders, contact us on 0333 3445 548.

Child Arrangement Orders FAQs

How many types of child arrangement orders are there?

There are two types of orders that were previously known as residence/custody, these are:

  • Live with – this is where a decision is made about who the child will live with.
  • Spend time with – this would determine how long and when a child would see the parent that they do not live with.

There are additional orders that courts can make, such as:

  • Prohibited Steps Order – this would prevent a parent from acting in a certain way or to stop them from doing something, such as taking a child to live abroad.
  • Specific Issue Order – this would detail decisions made about the child’s upbringing, such as religion or education.
  • International child maintenance – this would support a parent who has their ex-partner living abroad in the case that they would cease making maintenance payments.
Who can apply for a child arrangement order?

Either parent can apply for any of the Child Arrangements Orders. In certain circumstances it is also possible for grandparents or others who have had a child living with them for more than three of the last five years.

It is encouraged for parents to try to make decisions for themselves, but if they absolutely cannot agree, the court will make the decision for them. Our experienced team will always seek the best outcome for the child in any situation, while supporting the parent involved.

How do I apply for a child arrangement order?
As a first port of call, you need to contact an experienced lawyer. Any of our family law team will be happy to speak with you about your situation.
Following this, mediation will be recommended, and should an agreement still not be reached, the next step would be to apply for a court order.
How long does a child arrangement order last?
A child arrangement order will usually last until the child is 16, unless there are specific terms which allow it to continue for longer.

Divorce & Relationship Breakdown

Financial Settlements

Pre & Post Nuptial Agreements and Pre-Registration Agreements

Civil Partnerships

Family Law Services

Learn more

Radshaw Solicitors Ltd

Mayfair (By appointment)
49 Grosvenor Street,
London, W1K 3HP

The Atrium
1 Harefield Road
Uxbridge, UB8 1EX

0333 3445 548


Office Hours
Monday – Friday
09:00 – 17:00

09:00 - 13:00 (By Appointment Only)